Uncanny Is Seeking an Assistant Editor! Black, Indigenous, and People of Color HIGHLY Encouraged to Apply!
Note: Please go to the current post for the 2022 position. https://www.uncannymagazine.com/uncanny-is-once-again-seeking-an-assistant-editor-black-indigenous-and-people-of-color-highly-encouraged-to-apply/
Space Unicorns! We’re seeking to fill the Assistant Editor position with Uncanny Magazine, and we STRONGLY encourage BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and people of colour) to apply! The position will begin in August 2020, and will run for six issues/a year with possibility for renewal. There is a modest stipend for this position.
We’re looking for someone with a deep love of science fiction and fantasy, and an interest in editorial work and publishing. The Assistant Editor position will allow opportunities to participate in the daily operations of running a multi-time Hugo Award-winning online bimonthly publication in the SF/F field. The Assistant Editor works closely with the Managing Editor, and the primary tasks of the Assistant Editor include:
- Newsletter: creating written content for the monthly Uncanny Magazine newsletter
- Copyediting: the Assistant Editor will help with copyediting for grammar, usage, spelling, punctuation, clarification of meaning, fact-checking, and checking for anachronistic language in all published pieces
- Social Media Promotion: posting promotional content to Instagram and Tumblr, and assisting the Editors with Twitter and Facebook content as needed
- Graphic creation/design: assisting the Managing Editor with creation of graphics images and ads as needed
- Other duties as assigned, not to exceed 10% of total time allotted
The Assistant Editor position will require roughly 15-20 hrs per month. It is not location-dependent; communication and tasks will be done primarily online via email, Slack, and Google Hangouts or Skype.
Prior experience in publishing and familiarity with using programs such as Google docs, Canva, Instagram, Tumblr, Tinyletter, and WordPress is beneficial but not required. Training on how to use these will happen in formal sessions, and informally on the job.
Applications for the Assistant Editor position will be open from Monday, June 8 through Thursday, June 18. Please submit a short personal statement (up to 450 words) via Uncanny’s contact form with “Uncanny Assistant Editor” in the subject line.
Good luck, Space Unicorns!